Monthly Archives: February 2009

Signed up for Facebook

Well, no, not really. Actually, I’m trying to avoid that at all costs. My opinion of Facebook is low: it’s a time wasting website, where naught but browser games and teenager-style chit-chat goes on. Not my cup of tea.

However, some of my family have signed up for it, and are on it all the time. I know they’d never sign up for an IM account, but their Facebook profile automatically includes a built-in IM program. If I could hook into that, I’d easily be able to keep up with family without extra Facebook baggage.

The catch, as always with business, is closed protocols. The solution, a Jabber conduit, is actually under official development, but it’s slow going, and will probably not make it until later this year, if that.

The account I’ve really signed up for is the Facebook Bugzilla account, which is an entirely separate system. I’m currently using it to track this bug report, which details the status of the conduit I’ve mentioned.

As a side note, I know a lot of people who read this blog will be on Facebook (since it seems the majority of the world’s Internet population seem to be enamored with it), so I want you to try and convince me why I should forgo the wait for a Facebook-Jabber conduit and just sign up. This isn’t a taunt; it’s an honest question. How does Facebook enhance your life? Why do you use it?

Update (2009/03/30): Well, I got sucked in, as that’s the only way to be able to chat with family on Facebook. It is nice to stay up-to-date with everyone, but baesides that I hardly use it.

Advertisements

OpenOffice Auto-Recover Works in v3.0.1

At last, the annoying auto-recover bug is fixed. Prior to v3.0.1 (since August 2008, at least) there’s been a bug where the Auto-Recover feature wouldn’t actually recover anything, but would just pull open the last truly saved version.

Now that bug has been fixed after many tears and outcries, thank goodness. Your $10k document is now safe.

OSS VoIP software (Skype, TeamSpeak) via PulseAudio

ESD/GNOME via PulseAudio was easy to figure out: just make sure your login/logout/etc. sounds are no bigger than 1 MiB, not 1MB as some claim. You could use “pactl upload-sample ” to test and make sure PulseAudio’d like the sound.

That was easy enough to figure out. Then Skype came along and showed me the weaknesses of PulseAudio and its padsp script.

The issue was that Skype’s sounds would be very choppy, and my voice would be difficult to understand. I knew that PulseAudio had a way of building up a cache of audio before playing it, and that it would auto-adjust, but I figured that that was messing it up somehow. How I would fix an automatically-adjusted system I knew not. Continue reading